Sunday, December 25, 2016

Felt Ornament - Blue, Espresso & White

As part of our Christmas gift exchange in our family we needed to give a handmade ornament.

I started with white, blue and deep brown espresso felt.  I cut the ornament shape in white & brown, the large circle in blue and the ornament hanger in brown with the Sizzix Bigz Die - Ornament #2 die.  The flower in white and the small circle deep brown with the Sizzix Bigz Die - 657690 Flower Layers & Leaves die.
First, I put a blue sequin and a clear plastic snowflake bead in the centre of the brown circle.  I stitched it with white cotton thread.  I added a iridescent E-bead in the center. 
I used a warm blue thread on the white flower stitching from the center to the outer edge defining the petals.
I used the same warm blue thread with a back stitch to attach it to the white ornament shape as well as make a border around the blue circle shape.


I added the brown ornament hanger onto the white ornament stitching the lines between the parts of the hanger and attaching it to the white ornament at the same time.
I added detail to bottom end of the ornament again with the same warm blue thread.  
I then used a running stitch to attach the white and espresso ornaments together with white thread.  This ensures all the other stitching is not visible.


I selected a thin thread to add the year on the back with a back stitch.

You can see the running stitch on the back of the ornament.

I added a blue grosgrain ribbon in the hanger to allow it to be hung on the tree.

This is one of my few attempts at working with felt or fabric.  I`m much more comfortable with paper and glue but a felt ornament will be more resilient for years to come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.